This post is primarily a reprint of a message I received this morning from Pemo Lhamo, a member of Free Yoga Miami. She's right on, and for those of us here in Miami with kids, and families, and jobs, and houses to clean, and bills to pay, and, and, and....well, you get the picture. It's well worth reading and taking to heart. None of these ideas are new ones...but let me ask you this--are you doing any of these things to take care of yourself during these difficult times? If the answer is "no", you should read Pemo's tidy little list, and try adopting some of these practices.
I work with the public a lot and the most popular topic of conversation lately is the dwindling economy. This is proving to be a source of immense stress in a lot of people. Stress is related to most major illnesses, so we must do what we can to create a stress-free environment for ourselves. Besides a regular yoga and meditation practice, here are 20 ways you can reduce stress by doing things that make you feel more alive...
1. Start a breathing practice.
2. Express gratitude when you rise in the morning and before each meal.
3. Ride the bus or bike instead of driving.
4. Begin each morning with a light stretch.
5. Get a massage on a regular basis.
6. Smile at strangers.
7. Plant a garden.
8. Take a class.
9. Write a letter.
10. Spend time outdoors!
11. Enjoy a 15 minute afternoon siesta.
12. Anoint your feet with oil and a little massage.
13. Follow a child around doing what they do for half an hour.
14. Smile in the mirror every morning.
15. Make dinner for friends.
16. Take a 24 hour media fast.
17. Visit an elderly relative.
18. Return to a hobby you love.
19. Sit under a tree for an afternoon.
20. Tell your family and friends how much you love them!
Namaste, everyone! ♥